Thursday, February 14, 2013

Capable of great feeling: Carol Reed's "Oliver"


It is the spring of 1974- I know this because I am in third grade and it is right before my parents separated.  School was what felt normal, when I would still walk the five blocks to school with my younger brother. This was before I switched schools, left my friends and my Westmount neighborhood and moved to Old Montreal.

One of my last memories of my childhood before my parents got divorced was a film screening at school.  All of the students from kindergarten to grade five were packed into the auditorium to watch a screening of the 1968 film of the musical, "Oliver."  This film had a profound affect on me and has stayed with me all my life.  I have Charles Dickens and the Carol Reed film to thank for introducing me to my lifelong interest in the depiction of class culture in England. In fact, I can trace my obsession with England to first seeing the cityscape of London in "Oliver."   A few months ago, I bought the original soundtrack from iTunes and found myself listening to it and crying at how familiar each song was. I have always cried easily over music that moved me. The first notes of "Who Will Buy?" took me back to the small auditorium in Montreal, surrounded by my classmates and teachers.  Nancy (Shani Wallis) singing to Oliver completely captivated me.  I recently learned that Oliver's singing part was sung by Kathe Green, because Mark Lester (Oliver) apparently could not sing. The song is sung in a call and response round-style, with each street vendor singing a different part: flower seller, fruit vendor, knife sharpener, milkmaid, each voice playing off the other. The song is plaintive and heart-rending. Like any good piece, it is not all sweet but full of dark moments, too.  At times it is not the joyous song you expect and has a bittersweet edge. The musical showcases what a vibrant piece it is, set like a period city ballet. 

"Oliver" provided me with a chance to revisit a time in my childhood.  Of course, listening to the soundtrack and watching the film as an adult, I realize I have the same problems with some of the scenes that I did when I was little: Fagin's racist depiction as a money-hungry Jew is truly awful. Oliver witnessing Nancy's death at the hands of Bill (Oliver Reed) is still the single most terrifying scene of any movie I can think of. I think I was too young to have seen this as a child and wish for some modern editing- but at the same time, the film was intensely joyful and painful at the same time, something I am glad to have experienced.

Watching the "Who Will Buy" video clip as an adult, I caught something I had not noticed as a child: the only people who can truly enjoy the day are Oliver and his fellow well-dressed, wealthy neighbors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11x9V1OyKpg

I watch it now and think, 'How would you have any time to sing or dance if you were busy beating carpets, cleaning houses, and nannying for the rich?'  The tune describes wrapping up the day in a box to remember- these words have always stayed with me. Is your friendship a memory box or something active that you can work on, letting it evolve?  I think movies, music, and friendship got me through the time of my parents divorce.  Movies were a way for me to experience enormous emotions without having to talk about them.  I do not even know if I had the words to express the tumult of feelings inside me at the time. Movies provided a safe haven, even if there were big emotions expressed, pain and sadness and heartache. 

I had the chance to revisit my childhood this weekend with a visit to Vancouver, where I saw my oldest friend- we met when we were six and had not seen each other since we were fifteen.  Another opportunity to experience a safe haven of emotional comfort and connection.


Original poster for "Oliver." Note: The film excerpt available on YouTube has Spanish subtitles.



No comments:

Post a Comment