Sunday, February 24, 2013

Current obsessions

Hellebores in bloom at Anacortes, Washington. Photo by Kneale Culbreath


This week, I thought it would be fun to share some of my obsessions with you.

Product:  I love painting my nails and I like to use Sunday nights to pick a color, watch the Oscars or something Masterpiece Theater-ish, and think about the week ahead. The newest addition to my nail kit: Karma Organic Nail Polish Remover. It is an organic, soy-based nail polish remover that smells deliciously of lavender instead of headache-inducing acetone.  The remover takes nail polish off easily and I think my nails feel like they are in better condition instead of dry and stripped.  Yes, it's more expensive-$12 for a 4-ounce glass bottle- but you deserve to no longer inhale formaldehyde.

Teatime: Do you know about Remedy Teas on 15th Street in Seattle? Imagine a small and peaceful space done in calming white and green, where you can pick from over 150 organic teas along with tea smoothies, cookies, and sandwiches- Pesto Cream or Nutella Crisp, anyone? I spent two hours lingering with a friend and a pot of coconut chai, a green tea blend.  There is something there for everyone, including vegan and gluten-free options.  I love the idea of bringing more ritual to the everyday and this is the perfect spot to slow down for a bit. http://remedyteas.com/

Reading: I love candy, the more old-fashioned, the better: malted milk balls, Hershey's kisses, and the truly old-school Choward's Violet Mints, which make your breath smell like iris and Parma violet perfume.  I also love a good story. The Trebor Story by Matthew Crampton, is the tale of the Trebor candy company, a family-run institution that created not just candy but an entire culture.  It is a fascinating story, complete with beautiful photos and illustrations. 

Watching: I am always late to the party but thanks to good friends Sarah and Martin, have become completely obsessed with Paul Abbott's television series "Shameless," the UK edition.  If you want to discover everything you need to know about life on a Manchester council estate, please go and find "Shameless" on Netflix. Paul Abbott is a hero of mine and wrote the brilliant BBC series "State of Play."  Shameless is nothing like "State of Play," except it is also set in Manchester. But like "State of Play," Abbott's "Shameless" is full of characters you fall in love with.  It is smart, heartbreakingly sad, funny, and bitter.  The show's sharp, honest writing inspires me to always want to be a better writer.

Listening to:  I am waiting for Johnny Marr's The Messenger,  which will be released this Tuesday.  I will report back next week.  In the meantime, here's a song which shows off Marr's work with the English band, The Cribs, "We Share the Same Skies": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DbcAl3EbIs




What is inspiring you this week?




No comments:

Post a Comment